[TUHS] ATC/OSDI'21 joint keynote: It's Time for Operating Systems to Rediscover Hardware (Timothy Roscoe)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Sep 4 03:28:48 AEST 2021

I am exactly as Adam described, still thinking like it is a PDP-11.
Such an understandable machine.   For me, out of order execution kind
of blew up my brain, that's when I stopped doing serious kernel work,
I just couldn't get to a mental model of how you reasoned about that.

Though I was talking to someone about it, maybe Clem, recently and
came to the conclusion that it is fine, we already sort of had this
mess with pipelines.  So maybe it is fine, but out of order bugs my
brain.

--
---