[TUHS] ATC/OSDI'21 joint keynote: It's Time for Operating Systems to Rediscover Hardware (Timothy Roscoe)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Sep 17 10:32:57 AEST 2021

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 04:45:15PM -0700, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> Larry McVoy writes:
> > I think it is that the newer kids are less willing to understand stuff.
> > So they build something on top that they understand.  I agree that they
> > will hit problems and likely build "safe deposit boxes" because the
> > containers are "too complex".
>
> Like usual, we agree on this sort of stuff.  A conundrum for me is that
> this stuff that "they understand" is in my opinion way more complicated
> than understanding computer hardware and/or an operating system.  So I'm
> not sure where the win is.

Someone, sorry, I suck at names, I think he is in aerospace or similar,
had a pretty rational view on why docker made things easier.  It was
today so should be easy to find.

The part that I don't understand is why it seems so hard to deploy
stuff today.  We supported the same application, a pretty complicated
one, 636K lines of code, on every Unix variant, Linux {32,64} {every
arch including IBM 360}, MacOS {PPC, x86, and I'm working on M1},
Windows {XP..} and it wasn't that hard.  Granted, of the core team,
I'm the least intelligent so I hired well, but still.