[TUHS] ATC/OSDI'21 joint keynote: It's Time for Operating Systems to Rediscover Hardware (Timothy Roscoe)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Sep 17 10:37:33 AEST 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 09:44:42AM +1000, Rob Pike wrote:
> Now, though, we run an OS on the machine, put a VM on that, install a
> container on that, and run another VM (or JVM) inside the container, then
> maybe we're at the level where we can execute actual code. And that misses
> all the extra pieces that are distributed and layered and indirected and
> virtualized for management, logging, security, data warehousing, ...
>
> It's a wonder any of it works at all.

I think a huge part of why it works is Pugs exporting the IOMMU to
user space.  If I understand that work correctly, it really doesn't
matter how many layers you have, if the layers use what he did, then
the layers don't matter for I/O and I/O is usually where things get slow.

Rob, that link you sent makes my head spin.  Which was probably your intent.

--lm