[TUHS] ATC/OSDI'21 joint keynote: It's Time for Operating Systems to Rediscover Hardware (Timothy Roscoe)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Sep 17 10:44:25 AEST 2021

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 08:34:52PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > What's changed is that we now take for granted that Linux is there, and
> > we've stopped asking questions about anything outside of that model.
>
> It's unclear to me that Linux is blamed as the reason why researchers
> have stopped asking questions outside of that model.  Why should Linux
> have this effect when the presence of Unix didn't?

Linux runs on _everything_.  From your phone to the top 500 HPC clusters.

Unix, for all that it did, never had that level of success.  I credit
Unix for a lot, including showing Linux what it should be, but Linux
took that model and ran with it.

Plan 9 is very cool but I am channeling my inner Clem, Plan 9 didn't meet
Clem's law.  It was never compelling enough to make the masses love it.
Linux was good enough.

We can argue about if that is a good thing or not, I've watched Linux
become more complex and seen docker et al react to that.