[TUHS] ATC/OSDI'21 joint keynote: It's Time for Operating Systems to Rediscover Hardware (Timothy Roscoe)

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Fri Sep 17 12:21:26 AEST 2021

Larry McVoy writes:

> You do you, I had undiagnosed ADD so partys in college were just an
> awkward cringe fest for me.  Looking backwards, now that I've figured
> that out, yeah, I can see it, sort of, if I knew then what I know now.
>
> I was pretty committed to learning in college.  I'm not trying to judge
> or anything, it was just such a fun focussed time for me, I'd happily
> give up a party (where I was gonna get nothing) for a few hours on slovax
> where the BSD source was.
>
> Details aside, I think we both self identify as engineers and love it.

OK, we're getting pretty far afield from UNIX.  Probably wasn't using the
word "party" in the traditional sense - of the drugs, sex, and rock-n-roll
college was consumed by the last two.  BSD wasn't a thing when I was in
school; I do have a memory of coming in to work at BTL after dinner one
evening when Ken was walking out the door with mag tapes under his arm on
his way to Berkeley for sabbatical.  I got to play with computers and UNIX
at BTL, college was building and operating radio stations.

Jon