[TUHS] Unix for PDP11/20 w/o mmu or paging option

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Sep 18 00:33:53 AEST 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM Roland via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
wrote:

> Hello Unix fanatics,
>
> I have a PDP11/20 and I would love to run an early Unix version on it.
> I've been working on the hardware for a while and I'm getting more and more
> of the pieces back online again. The configuration will be two RK05 hard
> disks, TU56H tape, PC11 paper tape reader/puncher and a RX01 floppy drive.
> Unfortunately I don't have a MMU or paging option. But it seems that the
> earliest versions of Unix do not need the extra memory.
>
> Does anyone have RK05 disk images for these early Unix versions? That
> would be a great help. Otherwise it would be great to have some input about
> how to create a bootable Unix pack for this machine.

V5 is the earliest Unix we have contemporary images from. We have fragments
from everything else earlier, including files scavenged/recovered from
early DECtapes and some code recovered from kernel listings from a Unix
course that was put together by Bell Labs...

The Unix 1972 project that some TUHS members did. I think it's in the TUHS
distribution archive, but also on github. I think Warren Toomey's repo is
the canonical one https://github.com/DoctorWkt/unix-jun72 but
https://github.com/c3x04/Unix-1st-Edition-jun72 has a couple of newer fixes
for a docker file to contain the simh simulator. I'm unsure what hardware
that's supported, though.  The machine file suggests:

rk03/rk11   177400     disk             RK
dc11        174000     tty?             (not supp?)
tc11/tu56   177340     dec tape         DTn (not showing up in simh?)
rf11/rs11   177460     fixed head disk  RF
kw11-l      177546     clock            CLK
pc11        177550     paper tape       PTR/PTP
asr-33      177560     tty?             TTI, TTO

which has an RK03, not sure how close that is to an RK05, so some tweaks
may be needed.

Warner