[TUHS] Unix for PDP11/20 w/o mmu or paging option

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Sep 18 05:43:38 AEST 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 2:51 PM Phil Budne <phil at ultimate.com> wrote:

> The earliest Unix running on the 11/20 requires not only the custom MMU,
> but also a fixed-head disk

Right, a 4Mbyte RF11/RS11 which Ken refers to as /dev/drum in this code.
That lived for a pretty long time - at least thru the Sixth edition, IIRC.

> (the genesis of the tiny root partition?),

I thought the original system just swapped to it, no mounted FS on it, but
unless someone knows for sure, it means staring at Ken's assembler listings
for V1 that Warner mentioned earlier.

ᐧ