[TUHS] Systematic approach to command-line interfaces

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Sep 29 04:15:34 AEST 2021

    > From: "Greg A. Woods"

    > the elegance of fork() is incredible!

That's because in PDP-11 Unix, they didn't have the _room_ to create a huge
mess. Try reading the exec() code in V6 or so.

(I'm in a bit of a foul mood today; my laptop sorta locked up when a _single_
Edge browser window process grew to almost _2GB_ in size. Are you effing
kidding me? If I had any idea what today would look like, back when I was 20 -
especially the massive excrement pile that the Internet has turned into - I
never would have gone into computers - cabinetwork, or something, would have
been an infinitely superior career choice.)

    > I now struggle with liking the the Unix concept of "everything is a
    > file" -- especially with respect to actual data files.  Multics also got
    > it right to use single-level storage -- that's the right abstraction

Well, files a la Unix, instead of the SLS, are OK for a _lot_ of data storage
- pretty much everything except less-common cases like concurrent access to a
shared database, etc.

Where the SLS really shines is _code_ - being able to just do a subroutine
call to interact with something else has incredible bang/buck ratio - although
I concede doing it all securely is hard (although they did make a lot of
progress there).

	 Noel