[TUHS] Early shared library implementations

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Thu Sep 30 20:39:29 AEST 2021

Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:

> So far, I have not come across any shared library implementations or
> precursors in early Unix prior to SunOS 4.

In more or less the same time frame, the AT&T UnixPC / 3B1, which was
OEM'ed from Convergent, had shared libraries.  This was ~ 1986.

I don't know the details of how it worked and how one built the shared
libraries; I am sure that it was an independent implementation from Sun's.

This was done on top of a System V Release 2 kernel.  Later versions
of the OS had some bits of the SVR3 user land, but the kernel remained
SVR2 based.

There is a 3B1 emulator and disk images for it available for anyone
who really wants to go back to a system with short filenames and no
job control. :-)

Arnold