[TUHS] Interesting commentary on Unix from Multicians.

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Apr 8 23:34:31 AEST 2022

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 1:33 AM Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:

> Multics was started in 1964 and first went online in 1967, although it
> seems likely it wasn't exactly at the top of its game yet.  Bell Labs
> pulled out in 1969.  If that was the 75% point, 100% would be around 1971.

Not to put too fine a point on it, It seems like it would be fair to say
Multics was 'complete' by the time Organick published his book: *"**The
Multics System: An Examination of Its Structure**.*" Amazon says the 3rd
printing was April 72, so that means he must have published it earlier.  I
don't know when it first appeared and can not seem to find it.  My copy is
in storage but I bet I have the 3rd printing.   But I had >>thought<< that
was still in the late 1960s.   Anyone have a first edition around with the
publication date?
ᐧ
ᐧ