[TUHS] whereis command

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 04:38:39 AEST 2022

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM David Barto <david at kdbarto.org> wrote:

> > On Apr 24, 2022, at 8:59 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I did find a newer-ish version and I always get a kick out of stuff like
> this:
> >
> > free_dirlist(&ls, ALL_DIRS);
> >
> > right before the call to exit ... an inappropriate response to an
> > inappropriate warning, I suppose
> >
> > I once had an intern ask me "but if you don't free memory before the
> > program exits, then it can never get used again, right?" :-)
> >
> > (and yes, I know, in the paleo era, that was in fact true)
> >
> > I'll go try to find that archive ...
> >
> > ron
> >

> At $WORK we have a standing rule that all memory must be freed before the
> program exits.
>
> This is to ensure that the rest of the program doesn’t have any memory
> leaks. ASAN, UBSAN,
> Valgrind and the rest are good and far from perfect for detection of
> problems.
>
> However making sure to free all memory before exit() does aid them in
> finding problems early.
>
> Some colleagues took an external sort routine I wrote and tried to turn it
into a subroutine in a larger system.
(Why they didn't just pipe input into the sort process I never understood).
I hadn't taken any care to free the memory it used (and it used a LOT of
memory),
so after it was invoked a few times, it ran out of space.
I try to be more careful now about keeping track of memory
(but that requires extra memory).