[TUHS] SNOBOL and RATSNO

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Thu Aug 11 01:05:20 AEST 2022

Hi All.

Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> > I've always believed that pic was so well designed
> > because it took a day to get the print out (back then),
>
> I'm afraid this belief is urban legend. Credit for pic is due 100% to
> Kernighan, not to the contemporary pace of computing practice.

I occassionally forward TUHS items (that I think are) of interest
to Brian.  I have in the past forwarded one of Larry's "I like pic
because I can read the code and visualize the picture" emails to
him.  He responded that he didn't work that way. :-)

Here, by permission, is his response to Larry's latest note of
that kind, which I think is also of more or less general interest: