[TUHS] pic

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Fri Aug 12 16:46:57 AEST 2022

"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Oh surely. I just don't know what sources those would be, exactly;
> > presumably some derivative he's been shepherded all these years? I
> > wonder what it is....
>
> Per Kernighan's _Unix: A History and a Memoir_ (2020), it seems likely
> that it was simply groff.

Knowing BWK, I personally doubt that he'd have messed with GNU pic
when he has his own copy of the original program that he himself wrote.
I'm also quite sure that he prefers C to C++.

> "Camera-ready copy for this book was produced by the author in Times
> Roman and Helvetica, using groff, ghostscript, and other open source
> Unix tools." (copyright page)

Sure, because he works on Linux and MacOS and the GNU tools are easily
installable and "just work".

Of course, Dan could always just ask Brian what he did. :-)

Arnold