[TUHS] Documents for UNIX Collections

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Fri Aug 12 21:41:57 AEST 2022

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 05:15:52AM -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> > I’m interested in the journey of SysV IPC. So far I have established
> > that these originated in CBUnix, with a lot of thinking on how to optimize
> > these around the time that Unix 3.0/4.0/5.0 happened. They did not appear
> > in Unix 3.0 / SysIII, and from the Unix 4.0 documentation I gather that
> > it was not included there either.
>
> I am not sure you can make that conclusion, as the 4.0 printed documents
> did not include the programmer's manual; instead they gave out the
> 3.0 manual and there was a list of changes somewhere in the other doc.
>
> Unfortunately, without actual 4.0 sources, it will always be a question.
>
> I have this VERY vague memory that I saw IPC in 4.0, but I could
> very easily be wrong... It was over 40 years ago, after all. :-)

"Release 4.0 was launched from this organization in March. It introduced
new IPC mechanisms"

from pg 39 of Pirzada's thesis
https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/7942/1/Shamim_Sharfuddin_Pirzada-1988-PhD-Thesis.pdf

referred to in tuhs/Documentation/Emails/dmr_wkt

"Other treasures:  Shamim Pirzada did most of a PhD thesis on Unix
as an exemplar of software evolution for Imperial College (London)
that (in the part I have) contains a pretty good account of details
of history up to about 1988."