[TUHS] Reaction to the 3B2 at Bell Labs

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Thu Dec 1 16:10:15 AEST 2022

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Alan Glasser <alanglasser at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few 3B2 stories...
>
> In the late 1970's  there were no 3B2's (yet), but there was the MAC 8
> processor.  The name "MAC 8" was problematic to me and my coworkers: it
> stood for Microprocessor Advisory Committee.  It was a processor designed
> by a committee!  It was slow and more problematically, it was not hardware
> compatible with Intel 8080 support chips.  I don't remember all of the
> details but it was an edge versus level set of problems.  It was fun to
> program.  There was an evaluation box (called a MacTutor) that you
> connected to an RS-232 line to connect it with a PDP-11 UNIX system for
> cross-assembly/cross-compiling (the assembler language was as close to C as
> an assembler language could get).  The MacTutor was a fun toy.  The MAC 8
> in production hardware (at least in Holmdel) was a disaster.  See
> https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_westernEleC8TUTORJul79_3968770/mode/2up
>
> In the early 1980's, I was a Bell Labs technical supervisor in a number of
> different development (in contrast to research) organizations. There was
> considerable pressure on my management (and me) to utilize 3B2's instead of
> DEC hardware; a little later (about 1986) there was pressure to use 6300's
> and later 6386's (which ran UNIX).
>
> My first experience with an original 3B2 (one without a model number) was
> identical to that of John P Linderman's.  Compiling a modest C program took
> forever.  A little later they gave that one a model number of 300 and came
> out with a 400, which was almost reasonable and a 310 which, I believe, had
> the same processor and clock as a 400 with less expansion slots. Later came
> the 600 and 700, which were pretty reasonable and we used them for a number
> of products (DEFINITY Manager 3 for administering a large PBX was one I
> brought to market with my team).

There’s a 600G model that was used in large quantities by the US Government
(DoD).

The later models (600 to 1000) support multiple processors.  I find these
later machines fairly interesting but can see how the market would have
been set for Sun and DEC.

And then there were a couple 11xx models with MIPS CPUs..