[TUHS] Reaction to the 3B2 at Bell Labs

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Thu Dec 1 22:25:47 AEST 2022

Skip Tavakkolian <fariborz.t at gmail.com> writes:

> 3B20D's that were used for cellular switches used DMERT.
>
> I worked for McCaw Cellular (Cellular One) in mid-late 80's. They had
> several AT&T switches. The monitoring and management system at the NOC in
> Seattle was developed by BL (I think it was Indian Hill). It was called
> MFOS and ran on 3B2-400s and used Datakits for networking.

Getting a bit off topic... MFOS was very much at 6200 Broad Street in
Columbus at least in the later days (although Indian Hill certainly
could have been involved).  I walked by the MFOS offices every day going
to lunch.  The group I was a part of sort of spawned out of MFOS, but
had other inputs too.  MFOS and the product I was a part of was ported /
converted / forced into to a lot of different hardware, and I believe
that the last one for MFOS was HP and HP-UX.  I pretty sure I remember
them going through the Starserver (white box Tandem systems) phase.  The
product I worked on got to skip the 3B2 systems Because Of Reasons, but
we had to interface to systems that ran on the 3B so we had one to three
in our lab(s) running simulators of the systems we were suppose to talk
to.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org