[TUHS] Flame award

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Dec 8 08:11:16 AEST 2022

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022, 1:32 PM Warren Toomey via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> All, thank you all for all the congratulations! I was going to pen an
> e-mail
> to the list last night but, after a few celebratory glasses of wine, I
> demurred.
>
> It still feels weird that Usenix chose me for the Flame award, given such
> greats as Doug, Margo, Radia and others have previously received the
> same award. In reality, the award belongs to every TUHS member who has
> contributed documents, source code, tape images, anecdotes, knowledge
> and wisdom, and who have given their time and energy to help others
> with problems. I've been a steward of a remarkable community over three
> decades and I feel honoured and humbled to receive recognition for it.
>
> Casey told me the names of the people who nominated me. Thank you for
> putting my name forward. Getting the e-mail from Casey sure was a surprise
> :-)
>
> https://www.tuhs.org/Images/flame.jpg
>
> Many thanks for all your support over the years!

I was momentarily jealous of this award. Then I thought for all the time
and effort I'd put in, you've done 10 over the same time. And you've been
doing it 20 times as long and with more gumption than I ever put towards
things. You have been doing this since PUPS which only ever heard of due to
a drinking buddy Dworkin Muller...

So after a mere moment of jealousy, I realized that there is no one more
deserving of this recognition and these accolades... well done Warren. Well
earned.

Warner

        Warren