[TUHS] Bringing a Chainsaw

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Dec 10 16:54:43 AEST 2022

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 4:50 PM Marc Donner <marc.donner at gmail.com> wrote:

(Recently I mentioned to Doug McIlroy that I had infiltrated IBM East
> Fishkill, reputedly one of the largest semiconductor fabs in the world,
> with UNIX back in the 1980s.  He suggested that I write it up and share it
> here, so here it is.)

Some editions of the Jargon File contain an entry for _branch to Fishkill_,
defined as "Any unexpected jump in a program that produces catastrophic or
just plain weird results" and attributed to IBM.  Are you familiar with
this term?  Did it have a specific reference within IBM?

In any case, this is a great story!