[TUHS] Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

Michael Kjörling e5655f30a07f at ewoof.net
Sun Dec 11 23:59:20 AEST 2022

On 10 Dec 2022 19:22 -0500, from clemc at ccc.com (Clem Cole):
> My memory is there were also a bunch of two
> letter programs, rx/sx and rz/sz and the like.  Frankly its been so long
> since I had any use for them, I've forgotten.

I remember at least sz/rz from my early (for me) forays into UNIX,
back when ZModem was pretty much state of the art at least on micros
and I had files locally that I wanted remotely or vice versa. The
mnenomic being s(end)/r(eceive) z(modem); "send" and "receive", of
course, being local to the remote host, so the opposite sense of what
one would do with the terminal emulator program that one interacted
with locally. So "sz <some file>" at the prompt, then activate the
"receive ZModem transfer" function locally; or "rz <some file>", then
activate the "send using ZModem" function locally.

I think the host I was on at the time (which appears to have been some
Solaris) also offered XModem and YModem variants as [rs][xy], but I
never used those because someone had at some point told me that ZModem
was better. :-)

--
✍  Michael Kjörling                  🏡 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”