[TUHS] Clever code (was Re: Re: Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 01:39:37 AEST 2022

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 10:30 AM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 12:27 AM Andrew Warkentin <andreww591 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And yet, for some reason, QNX has had almost no influence on anything
>
> Be careful with a statement like that.  It's likely running in something in your car. and very likely to be running in something in the last Boeing or Airbus-based flight you took, and it was used when Amazon made the last delivery to you.   It has long been popular in process control/materials handling/robotics/fly-by-wire systems.
>
> When a small, very lightweight UNIX-style programming API needed to be used, QNX was often a favorite.
>
> I sometimes think QNX must have had a really good salesperson in the 'Rust-Belt.'  I know I talked to several fans in companies doing that work.   I do know of a least one firm that still uses it.  An inexpensive x86 can be designed into a custom controller, and the only 'development' is the customer interface to private HW.   The development system is a PC or Vmware on an engineer's desk.
>
> After Blackberry bought the company, it's interesting that they seem to be all that is left of BB.  But they are still going strong: QNX Neutrino RTOS

For a while, Neutrino was open source, but that seemed to change
quietly at some point. I can't seem to find the source code online
anywhere, which surprises me a bit: I'd have assumed anyone who got a
copy of the code under the OSS license would still be able to treat it
as open source, but maybe I'm just wrong.

        - Dan C.