[TUHS] Clever code

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 18:05:37 AEST 2022

Hi George,

> The "sticky" bit was quite clever. tell the OS to keep something
> memory resident

Was it ever more than a hint?  I've not heard of it locking or pinning
an executable to memory.

> so you can binary patch the back end without worrying.

I think it altered the worrying.  :-)

If not sticky, ‘chmod -x’ the file, ensure no process is running it from
before the chmod, patch, ‘chmod +x’.

If sticky then ‘chmod -tx’, ensure no process is running it from before
the chmod, ‘chmod +x’, run it and exit to remove any stuck copy,
‘chmod -x’, patch, chmod ‘+tx’.

I may have got the detail wrong but avoiding the unpatched copy
lingering in memory is the aim.

--
Cheers, Ralph.