[TUHS] Clever code

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 00:48:11 AEST 2022

Hi Arnold,

> > The PB 250 had two instruction-sequencing modes.  In one mode, each
> > instruction included the address of its successor.  In the other
> > mode, whatever popped out the delay line when the current
> > instruction completed would be executed next.
> The second mode you describe sounds like it would be impossible to use
> if you wanted repeatable, reproducible runs of your program.

How so?  As long as the time taken by the current instruction was
constant then it would be known what's popping out of the delay line
when it's done.  And if the time varied, say because of an operand or
the need to carry, then that could be used to choose between addresses.
Either way, it's repeatable.

It is as if the PC register on today's CPU was steadily trundling
through program memory in parallel to the execution of the current
instruction and when the fetch cycle started, it got whatever PC was
pointing at.

BTW, there's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay-line_memory if you
don't know much about them, though I don't think it covers how the
line's content was modified other than a simple block diagram showing
taps for input and output.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay-line_memory#/media/File:SEACComputer_010.png

--
Cheers, Ralph.