[TUHS] Clever code

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Dec 14 03:58:11 AEST 2022

    > From: Stuff Received

    > I had always thought of a delay line as a precursor to a register (or
    > stack) for storing intermediate results. Is this not an accurate way of
    > thinking about it?

No, not at all.

First: delay lines were a memory _technology_ (one that was inherently
serial, not random-access). They preceded all others.

Second: registers used to have two aspects - one now gone (and maybe the
second too). The first was that the _technology_ used to implement them
(latches built out of tubes, then transistors) was faster than main memory -
a distinction now mostly gone, especially since caches blur the speed
distinction between today's main memory and registers. The second was that
registers, being smaller in numbers, could be named with a few bits, allowing
them to be named with a small share of the bits in an instruction. (This one
still remains, although instructions are now so long it's probably less
important.)

Some delay-line machines had two different delay line sizes (since size is
equivalent to average access time) - what one might consider 'registers' were
kept in the small ones, for fast access at all times, whereas main memory
used the longer ones.

	Noel