[TUHS] Clever code (was Re: Re: Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Dec 14 11:05:31 AEST 2022

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 04:00:46PM -0700, Andrew Warkentin wrote:
> On 12/13/22, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I'm well aware that QNX has been extremely successful commercially and
> >> can be found in a wide range of embedded systems. I'm specifically
> >> talking about architectural influence on other OSes.
> >
> > Minix?  QNX predated that.
> >
> Yes, QNX predated Minix by several years, but Minix was completely
> independent and there was no QNX influence on it at all AFAIK.

Have you talked to Andy and confirmed that?  I'd be quite surprised if
he hadn't played with QNX but who knows.  I wouldn't assume he hadn't.

And forgive me for asking, do you have some axe to grind against QNX
or something?

To me, it's not that surprising that the rest of the world didn't copy
QNX because the rest of the world was either a mono-kernel or it was
Mach.  Don't get me started on Mach, it has defenders but I absolutely
hate it.  Mach is more of a distributed research OS that advertised
itself as a microkernel.  There is _nothing_ micro about Mach.  It's
a big bloated mess.
--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat