[TUHS] Clever code (was Re: Re: Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Dec 14 17:49:32 AEST 2022

Andrew Warkentin <andreww591 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree 100% that Mach is a complete and utter failure as a
> microkernel, and seems to have almost single-handedly destroyed the
> reputation of microkernels. I don't get why everyone was so focused on
> Mach-like kernels when there was a better alternative that had been
> around in some form for almost a decade before Mach (QNX wasn't the
> first of its kind; it seems to have had pretty significant influence
> from Thoth).

I suspect because Mach was available if you had the right Unix licenses
and because it was hot in the research world in the mid 80s. Researchy
types tend to look at what other researchers are doing / using, it seems
to me often without knowledge of or caring about what people are using
in industry.  (My two cents, from having worked at universities.)

Arnold