[TUHS] origin of null-terminated strings

Tom Lyon pugs78 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:15:11 AEST 2022

Clem doesn't mention CP-67/CMS, which IBM kept trying to kill in favor of
CMS.
>From Melinda Varian's amazing history of VM, I gleaned these factoids:
CP-67 - 8 sites by May '68
Feb of 68 - IBM decommits from TSS
Apr 69 - IBM rescinds decommit of TSS
CP-67 - 44 sites by 1970, ~10 internal to IBM
May 71 - TSS finally decommitted

So TSS was a rocky road, while CP&VM were simple and just worked.