[TUHS] Clever code (was Re: Re: Stdin Redirect in Cu History/Alternatives?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:05:57 AEST 2022

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 at 11:43, Harald Arnesen <skogtun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks! Very interesting, I didn't know much of this.

My pleasure.

I am a daily Unix user but my main interests tend to lie elsewhere.

I don't have any citations for this, but it looked to me, watching in
the magazines at the time, that _before_ the Amiga deal, QNX did run
on PCs for testing purposes, but I am not totally sure if it had a GUI
at all, and little to no multimedia support.

My impression is that QNX implemented that for Amiga Inc and then were
left with it when Amiga turned its gaze on Tao and Elate.

(Some of the best remaining info about Intent and Elate is in HN comments, e.g.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16053726

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9807269

Which leads to:

http://www.uruk.org/emu/Taos.html )

I am curious to know if the TAOS virtual-processor,
all-binaries-are-CPU-independent, model influenced or inspired
Inferno. I think that Inferno postdates TAOS.

But returning to QNX: my impression is, they implemented a GUI and
multimedia frameworks for Amiga, Amiga changed its mind, and QNX
offered it as a PC dev kit for a while.

E.g.
https://archive.org/details/qnx-neutrino-rtos-x86-runtime-kit-6.3.0-sp3

But the only mass-market end-user-facing graphical multimedia-capable
QNX devices I know of were the Blackberry X smartphones. (And
cancelled tablet and netbook.)

I owned a Blackberry Passport. A lovely device with a lovely OS... but
too late and it flopped.

So, oddly, and accidentally and unintentionally, Amiga Inc was
directly responsible for the Blackberry smartphone OS.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053