[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Tue Dec 20 10:02:24 AEST 2022

segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> writes:

[snip]

> Another matter I've been keeping tabs on in my recent study is the presence of SCCS tags on things. Most System V code has SCCS tags, but only select bits of System III seem to have them. Where they do exist, often times they're either carried through to the System V file verbatim or​ there's some monkeying with the numbers I can't quite explain but I have some hunches. In any case, many of the files unmodified between III and V are listed as SCCS version 1.1 in V. I'm not sure there what the significance of the version numbers was, and in analyzing several versions, i haven't been able to identify a singular pattern. One pattern I did notice sporadically was when comparing SVR1 Release 1 (PDP-11) and SVR1 Release 2 (M68K), all of these SCCS identifiers I checked roll from whatever 1.x they were in the former to 2.1 in the latter, presumably the major number being the System V release and minor being revisions since that was tagged? All speculation though.

[snip]

Someone else will have to indicate if raw SCCS was used during the time
frame for the code you are looking at or if there was some management
system built on SCCS that was actually used.

What I mean by this is that there was a source code control management
system used at AT&T and later Lucent called Sublime (it was more or less
mandated at CB at least for the software groups I know of and I am
pretty sure I remember it in other locations too).  Sublime was used in
the '90s onward and likely quite a bit before that time.  This system
was a layer on top of SCCS, which wasn't allowed to be used directly for
source code control.  It was true that SCCS tags ended up in your code
(usually), but you could not directly use the tag information in any
meaningful manor.  Sublime used the tag information in it own way that
was opaque to the software developers.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org