[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Dec 20 11:33:23 AEST 2022

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 08:20:07PM -0500, Larry Stewart wrote:
> I forget if I've mentioned this here before, so apologies in advance.
>
> I never met Reiser, but I ran across his PhD thesis (for Knuth!).  It was 35 pages (!) on random number generators.  I implemented one for my own work.   It was pretty clear he was one of those people who is smarter than the rest of us.

Rob's (and maybe other's?) description of the VM system he did makes me
really want to read that code.  Rob talked about it the way I talk about
the SunOS 4.x VM system, very clean and easy to understand.

I'm still waiting to hear someone talk about an SMP VM system that way.
That stuff gets complicated.