[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Tue Dec 20 12:35:02 AEST 2022

Oh wow, this is cool. So I hopped on and am looking around, after digging around for a while, it looks like that version of UNIX is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl_UTS

A very, very early version at that. Wikipedia says they stuck around and carried this through all the way to being an SVR4 derivative, but what we're seeing here, at least based on perusing around for 5-10 minutes, does indeed look very V7ish. The manual is interesting, looks like they tried to create their own manual ordering, there are man0-man3 folders but then vol1 vol2 and vol3 containing copies of many things, as well as several scripts and files with a lot of information on their process for adding new pages and documents. My reasoning on this not being past V7 is that there are no utsname or uname syscalls to speak of, nor pwbname. The history on that command/syscall is a little fuzzy, I know I've seen the name "utsname" somewhere but I can't recall where. The command is uname by the time of 3.0. This version does have a "sysname" command that suggests it does something similar, but I couldn't find a corresponding syscall, not that I looked very hard.

- Matt G.