[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Tue Dec 20 14:21:32 AEST 2022

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 07:09:43PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Berkeley didn't really have a good VM system, other than Bill Joy
> imagining it and then went on to go to Sun and inspired Joe Moran
> to implement it.
>
> FreeBSD took Mach's VM system and while I have respect for what
> Mach was trying to do, holy moly, what a mess.

Mike Hibler did that for HPBSD and CSRG releases.

https://www.flux.utah.edu/~mike/hpbsd/hpbsd.html

"In April 1989, with encouragement from CSRG, I started the
``new VM project,'' integrating the Mach 2.0 VM system[1] into BSD. This
was done in the context of our then current HPBSD. A reasonable
prototype was done by November 1989 when I talked about it at the
``Berkeley workshop'' in Boulder[2]. Development on the new VM code in
HPBSD continued off and on til May of 1990 when the VM code was merged
into CSRG's source tree (what was to become net2 and later 4.4bsd)."