[TUHS] UNIX on (not quite bare) System/370

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Dec 20 18:56:10 AEST 2022

Phil Budne <phil at ultimate.com> wrote:

> Is there any other surviving documentation about the system?
> Any recall of what branch of AT&T UNIX it was based on?

IIRC, in the USG 4.0 doc that I sent to Matt, it says something like
"UNIX is an operating system for the DEC PDP-11, the DEC VAX 11/780,
and the IBM System 370".  Matt --- can you confirm?  I can't get to my
copy so easily.

That document dates from 1981, and as it came from USG, it would mean
that the AT&T UNIX on 370 was from that world and is what is described
in the 1984 BSTJ.

If anyone has the System III source handy, one could check if there
is a u370 shell script and/or a u370 directory in the kernel source.
(There used to be shell scripts named pdp11, vax, u3b, and u370 for use
in shell 'if' statements, analogous to the C preprocessor defines.)
If so, then UNIX 370 would date back even further.

HTH,

Arnold