[TUHS] General Document Scans Thread (Was 3B20 Manual Scans)

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Dec 22 08:17:58 AEST 2022

Good day folks, reassigning this thread once again as I've refocused efforts to the System V docs I have since I'm working on a *ROFF restoration of that 4.1 manual, that seems quicker to market for research purposes than scanning and OCR'ing it all, as I can just compare 3.0 and 5.0 sources with diff and then touch up one or the other to produce a faithful typesetter source.  Not to say I won't eventually be scanning the physical pages, but that seems like a quicker way to get stuff available for study.

Given that, I'm scanning the System V stuff because there's a much less clear path to producing typesetter sources there, and truth be told there's a lot more interesting information in these docs.

So without further ado, here's a second document from that set, the "Transition Aids" containing five papers: System III to System V transitional changes, 512 byte to 1K block filesystem transitions, changes to the UNIX ar format, an expository paper on COFF (Common Object File Format), and finally changes to the C language in this update.  The COFF document is the longest, offers a full exposition, but the rest are just notes on what has changed between versions: https://archive.org/details/unix-system-transition-aids-system-v

Additionally, as I kinda just dropped it buried in another thread, I also scanned this one the past few days, the System Release Description: https://archive.org/details/unix-system-release-description-system-v/

Where the Transition Aids concerns the most essential information for a System III user to assess a System V migration, the System Release Description is much more holistic and contains one very exciting document (for me at least), Appendix I, a list of modification requests completed in the upgrade, in other words, a development log of every commit between System III and System V (allegedly).  Finally, looks like archive.org opted to OCR this for me, and the bits I've snipped and checked actually look accurate, so hopefully as I continue to do this, I continue to get quality OCR from archive.org for free.

- Matt G.