[TUHS] Early supported UNIX manual

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Sat Dec 24 13:30:09 AEST 2022

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 04:44:32PM -0500, Phil Budne wrote:

> Matt G wrote:
> > One area of immediate curiosity for me is the init system, whether the pages suggest it is more in line with research (rc and ttys files) or TS (inittab, runlevels).
>
> The init (VII) page mentions /etc/rc and refers to ttys (V) which says the file
> consists of lines with three characters (enable, tty name, getty arg)
>
> getty (VII) describes behaviors for 0, -, 1, 2
>
> The one interesting bit in section (II) is lock (system call 62.) that
> implements semaphores with subfunctions lock/unlock/tlock, all of
> which take a non-negative semaphore ID called a flag.

used by MERT:

https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Manuals/MERT_Release_0/Unix%20Programmer%20Manual%20-%20UPM%20-%20White%20Tabs/System%20Calls%20-%20man2/lock.2.pdf

"The semaphores provided in the MERT/UNIX supervisor are identical to
those provided by the USG-UNIX Generic 3 system [8].
[8] Brandt, R. B., Implementation of Semaphores and Messages in UNIX, MF-76-8234-076."
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/TechReports/Heinz_Tech_Memos/TM-78-3114-4_The_MERT-UNIX_Supervisor_19780420.pdf

"Make (a program for maintaining other programs) was launched at the
CSRC towards the end of the year and was immediately adopted by USG for
the next generic release (PG-1C300 issue 2).  This was a snapshot of the
USG system at mod level 3.33 (January 1976) indicating at least three
distinct levels of evolution: the generic releases, major and minor USG
mod levels."

"Generic 3.0 was released in spring 1977 (delayed from January)."

Pirzada, A Statistical Examination of The Evolution of the UNIX System

"I do remember a conversation with Dennis about semaphores, though.
He mentioned that no less than five groups inside of Bell Labs had
hacked semaphores into the kernel.  Each group did it differently."
Steve Johnson
https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-February/009748.html

In CB-UNIX there was sema(2):
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/USDL/CB_Unix/cbunix_man2_04.pdf

In System V Release 1, semctl(2), semget(2), semop(2)
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/att/unix/System_V_Release_1/301-905_UNIX_System_V_Release_1_Users_Manual_Jan83.pdf

xenix creatsem(2), opensem(2), sigsem(2), waitsem(2)
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/intel/system3xx/xenix-286/174385-001_Overview_of_the_XENIX_286_Operating_System_Nov84.pdf