[TUHS] OLIT, MoOLIT, and NeWS (was: X11 Conservancy Project)

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Mon Dec 26 07:03:11 AEST 2022

"G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> And MoOLIT was, apparently, some kind of shim--whether it supplemented
> OLIT or replaced it, I am not sure--that, like XForms and Java's AWT,
> allowed you to to write a "look-and-feel-neutral" application.

[snip]

Motif on OLIT, if I remember that correctly.  Sort of a Motif look and
feel but without the need to purchase a license for Motif which you had
to do at the time (that is, in order to even RUN a motif linked
application, you needed the shared libraries which you could pretty much
only get by purchasing a license..  there was probably other ways, and
it has been a LONG time ago).  Our group at AT&T used it to keep from
having to have the customer buy anything additional for a release but
who also wanted "Motif".  I don't honestly remember if you coded in OLIT
or Motif, but probably OLIT, but the end result was something that sort
of looked like Motif in the end.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org