[TUHS] OLIT, MoOLIT, and NeWS (was: X11 Conservancy Project)

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Dec 26 07:47:20 AEST 2022

Much as I was a fan of NeWS back in the day (and later used a NeWS-ish
complete with the Owen Densmore object oriented extensions) postscript
interpreter as the basis for our product,
I’m having some issues with that “history.”   First off, you couldn’t
arbitrarily cat a PostScript file to the screen and expect it to work.
There were enough differences between Adobe and the NeWS version to
cause problems.

The idea of putting small programs (written in PostScript) to handle the
interaction was an interesting one.   The problem is that writing stuff
in PostScript (even with the NeWS extensions) is so godawful that I have
my doubts about having implemented an entire X Server in one (having
written several X Servers subsequent to that).

Of course, Gosling came up with a more palatable development language
for the next attempt:   Java.