[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Sat Dec 31 14:18:06 AEST 2022

On Dec 30, 2022, at 7:59 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> For a login shell, bash is my shell of choice.  It's bloated but I'm
> typing this on a 5 year old Lenova X1 Carbon with 16GB of memory and
> 4 cores and it's fine.  It was fine a 133mhz Pentium.

I switched to zsh in 1993-94 when I found out it had sh compatible
syntax but also had some useful features from csh (bang commands,
a{b,c} expansion, aliases etc.). Back then my machine had 16MB of
memory (IIRC a 50Mhz i486). zsh is the Cadillac of shells. But I
also use rc, the VWbug of shells on plan9!