[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Marc Donner marc.donner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 14:19:21 AEST 2022

Fascinating.

When I left IBM Research to become a grad student at CMU (1981) the Unix CS
was running did not have history in the shell.  It had just been introduced
in VM/CMS and I loved it.  I nagged the sysadmins in the CS department
about it, and voila, it appeared shortly thereafter.  I presume it was one
of the things discussed here ported to the CMU environment.

I remember that I implemented history for the shell in the PERQ, doing some
nasty stuff to fit a reasonable history length in the weird Pascal they
had, since Pascal didn’t have dynamic strings or real pointers.

Marc
=====

--
=====