[TUHS] FYI: Internet Old Farts Club

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Feb 1 12:12:32 AEST 2022

On 1/29/22 1:48 AM, Andy Kosela wrote:
> I can speak only for myself, but I love that TUHS/COFF mailing lists
> are still _the real_ mailing lists managed the old school way.

Usenet is still a thing that I use daily.

> I hate all those modern web 2.0 technologies with extremely bloated js
> stacks which you can only use if you have the latest version of Chrome.
I too dislike what the Web 2.0 world has turned into.

I believe that it's possible for web pages to by dynamic via AJAX
without all the bloat.  Sadly this isn't done.

> I am still using old Atari DOS, Amiga Workbench, MS-DOS/Win9x/WinXP
> and of course Linux/FreeBSD.

:-)

> This is probably one of the last places on the Internet that is
> still preserving one of its core ideas in the 80s/90s -- plain
> text communication.  It has been slowly dying in the last 15 years.
> Text based Internet of the 80s and 90s has slowly been replaced by
> binary protocols and image based interaction with a computer.

Usenet.

> I still just love using text based protocols and command line and
> read it on a real CRT monitor in full screen text mode.  We lost
> something when the world moved on.

I used to have similar thoughts.  Then I realized that things like
OpenSSL's s_client and curl allow interaction with encrypted and other
protocols.  So, that got me to questioning "what is the command line"
(UI / UX) really?

Does OpenSSL's s_client (Secure / TLS) client provide a textual
interface to TLS encrypted servers?  Yes it does.  Does it count as
"command line"?  I think so.

So, what if there was a different command line utility that allowed
similar interface with HTTP2 / QUIC connections.  Would that mean that
they are similarly CLI?  I think so.

Extrapolating out even further, does it actually matter that the bits on
the wire are ASCII and / or unencrypted if I have a UI / UX that is akin
to a Network Virtual Terminal interface (e.g. telnet, OpenSSL's
s_client, etc.)?  Or does the client provide an abstraction to fulfill
my CLI desires?  I think that it probably would.

I agree completely that HTTPS is decidedly different on the wire than
venerable HTTP which I can communicate with using telnet (et al.).

However, the /telnet/ *client* is still there and being used.  So when
you back up and look at what that /client/ does in providing an
abstraction between the end user and the underlying / backing protocol,
it turns out that the underlying / backing protocol is less important.

> So please do not go anywhere....

I'm not planing on discontinuing using mailing lists or Usenet any time
soon.  Despite the fact that they have migrated from unencrypted to
encrypted communications.  Even my MUA / NUA is using encrypted
connections to the servers.  But /my/ /personal/ /interaction/ with my
MUA / NUA hasn't changed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die