[TUHS] FYI: Internet Old Farts Club

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Feb 1 12:51:40 AEST 2022

On 1/31/22 7:23 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> So I used to be very active on Usenet, comp.arch and comp.unix.wizards
> were my jam.  soc.singles, yeah, hung out there and I was not well
> loved for my views.

I'll check out the comp.* groups and let you know what I see.

> I don't think I've been on usenet since the 1990's because it just
> turned into a cesspool of crap.  Sort of Facebook but text.

It seems to be a lot better as the number of people went down, there
were fewer people for the trolls to feed on.

> Are you saying there is still some decent value in Usenet or are you
> hanging on just because?

Yes, I have some good conversations in multiple newsgroups on the weekly
basis and probably many on the monthly basis.

My Thunderbird newsrc file has 427 lines of subscribed groups.  I see
worth while articles in 20-200 of them a day.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die