[TUHS] ratfor vibe

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 2 04:19:09 AEST 2022

    > From: Clem Cole

    > So by the late 70s/early 80s, [except for MIT where LISP/Scheme reigned]

Not quite. The picture is complicated, because outside the EECS department,
they all did their own thing - e.g. in the mid-70's I took a programming
intro couse in the Civil Engineering department which used Fortran. But in
EECS, in the mid-70's, their intro programming course used assembler
(PDP-11), Algol, and LISP - very roughly, a third of the time in each. Later
on, I think it used CLU (hey, that was MIT-grown :-). I think Scheme was used
later. In both of these cases, I have no idea if it was _only_ CLU/Scheme, or
if they did part of it in other languages.

	Noel