[TUHS] BSD 4.1, 4.1x, Quasijarus, and 4.3x

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Wed Feb 2 08:04:17 AEST 2022

On 2/1/22 4:34 PM, Will Senn wrote:

> 2. Sokolov implies that the CSRG mission started going off the rails with
> the 4.3/4.3BSD-Tahoe and it all went pear shaped with the 4.3-Reno release,
> and that Quasijarus puts the mission back on track, is that so?

He seems to be saying that everything post-VAX was where the project lost
its way.

My recollection is that the switch from VAX to Tahoe was mostly driven by
funding, hardware donations, and the Berkeley departments' and computing
center's desire to move to the VAX 8000 series, which IIRC the CSRG was not
prepared to support. (I'm a little fuzzy on the timing of that last piece.)

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/