[TUHS] BSD 4.1, 4.1x, Quasijarus, and 4.3x

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Wed Feb 2 10:43:59 AEST 2022

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> writes:

[snip]

>> Well, no. Both OpenBSD and NetBSD ported back to the VAX, but the OpenBSD
>> effort has ended due to lack of hardware and interest. It appears that
>> NetBSD is still being actively developed on the VAX, however, so it's
>> possible to get a "modern" 4.4BSD derived system on that architecture.
>>
> Right - either current NetBSD or the Ultrix 4.5 is what I would do.  If
> NetBSD will run the Ultrix layered products, that would be the system with
> the most; but I'm not sure if that will work.   Ultrix for instance
> supports DEC (VMS) FTN - which I know you (Will) have been messing with.
> That is the best (most complete) FTN for Vaxen.  I believe there is Ada,
> PL/1 and maybe even Basic2 and Cobol/RPG [I think most of not all of the
> VMS languages for the VAX were released on Ultrix but frankly, I don't
> remember].

[snip]

NetBSD has a compat_ultrix that can be enabled for NetBSD/vax (and pmax
/ mips) that might allow some of those products to work.  The man page
for it does not mention any of that specifically and does say that there
are a few limits to it.

https://man.netbsd.org/compat_ultrix.8

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org