[TUHS] BSD 4.1, 4.1x, Quasijarus, and 4.3x

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 11:35:27 AEST 2022

On 2/1/22 6:22 PM, Clem Cole wrote:
> Dan/Will - I think we need the political way back machine ...  below...

That's a lot of history. Thanks. Always with the money, I thought it was
strictly altruism that drove the pioneers :).

> Then again, if the idea is running BSD on a Vax, Ultrix 4.5 is even
> better, and has all the DEC languages and layered products.

Wow. I will dig into this. I like the layered stuff. I thought you had
to do RT11/RSTSE/TOPS/etc to have that. I had no idea it was available
on a *nix platform.

>         4. Is Quasijarus0c end of the line for VAX 4.xBSD? Why does
>         tuhs only have Quasijarus0 and 0a, was there something wrong
>         with 0b and 0c?
>

>     Well, no. Both OpenBSD and NetBSD ported back to the VAX, but the
>     OpenBSD effort has ended due to lack of hardware and interest. It
>     appears that NetBSD is still being actively developed on the VAX,
>     however, so it's possible to get a "modern" 4.4BSD derived system
>     on that architecture.
>
> Right - either current NetBSD or the Ultrix 4.5 is what I would do.
> If NetBSD will run the Ultrix layered products, that would be the
> system with the most; but I'm not sure if that will work.   Ultrix for
> instance supports DEC (VMS) FTN - which I know you (Will) have been
> messing with.   That is the best (most complete) FTN for Vaxen.  I
> believe there is Ada, PL/1 and maybe even Basic2 and Cobol/RPG [I
> think most of not all of the VMS languages for the VAX were released
> on Ultrix but frankly, I don't remember].
Sweet. Off to hunt down Ultrix 4.5 :).

Will