[TUHS] more about Brian...

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:28:17 AEST 2022

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 6:25 PM Adam Thornton <athornton at gmail.com> wrote:

> It feels like the tide has turned from Go to Rust.  I speak Go relatively
> fluently but have never used Rust in anger.  Do the august personages on
> this
> list have opinions about Rust?  People who generally have tastes consonant
> with mine tell me I'd like Rust.
>
> Although a bit outdated, I stand by what I wrote about Go several (six?)
> years ago: https://athornton.github.io/go-it-mostly-doesnt-suck

I think Rust brings something new and interesting to language design.

Databases like to have many readers or a single writer for a given piece of
data.  Rust takes this idea and makes it part of the language.

It also manages to be largely memory-leak free, without a garbage collector.

And it still allows you to shoot your foot off if you really want to.  But
there's a hoop to jump through first, which, I think, is how it should be.