[TUHS] more about Brian...

Hellwig Geisse hellwig.geisse at mni.thm.de
Sat Feb 5 06:28:10 AEST 2022

Hi Thomas,

On Fr, 2022-02-04 at 20:45 +0100, Thomas Paulsen wrote:
> I tell you one thing: I never ever experienced any problems with
> traditional malloc()/free().­

did you ever write a program which does heavy malloc()/free()
on complicated (i.e., shared) data structures *and* runs for
days, perhaps weeks? IMO it's very difficult to do this without
a GC, and you have to exercise quite an amount of discipline
to do it right.

> A kernel using GC is a kernel written by inexperienced kids.

Well, not exactly. Niklaus Wirth's Oberon kernel (around 1990)
used a GC, and it did that quite efficiently.

Hellwig