[TUHS] more about Brian...

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 11:10:57 AEST 2022

On 2/5/22 6:56 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:28:10PM +0100, Hellwig Geisse wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> On Fr, 2022-02-04 at 20:45 +0100, Thomas Paulsen wrote:
>>> I tell you one thing: I never ever experienced any problems with
>>> traditional malloc()/free().??
>> did you ever write a program which does heavy malloc()/free()
>> on complicated (i.e., shared) data structures *and* runs for
>> days, perhaps weeks? IMO it's very difficult to do this without
>> a GC, and you have to exercise quite an amount of discipline
>> to do it right.
> I've done this and I've employed people who have done this.  We're
> a dieing breed, the focus seems to be on programming languages and
> tools for idiots.  People don't want to learn the discipline it takes
> to work with malloc()/free().  It's sad.

I completely agree. This is ridiculous. Do modern programmer's seriously
think that the old code wasn't complex or robust? Sheesh, there's code
out there that has run through more millions of transactions an hour for
more years than most of these folks have been alive. There's also code
that's been running without any updates, for decades. Most code written
by the newbreed won't run for a month without surfacing dozens of bugs.
Margaret Hamilton would prolly have some choice words for these folks.