[TUHS] more about Brian...

Rob Pike robpike at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:27:50 AEST 2022

I don't understand your disagreement. In what way is automatic memory
management harder, more unsafe, and less robust than hand-written memory
management using malloc and free?

You seem to think that garbage collection only exists in languages that
have a smell you don't like. Perhaps that's true, but it's been around for
60 or more years and a lot of important languages use it, while the
programmers that use those languages are often quite capable.

Using malloc and free might be a badge of honor to some, but it's also a
failure of automation.

This discussion should probably go to COFF, or perhaps I should just leave
the list. I am starting to feel uncomfortable here. Too much swagger.

-rob