[TUHS] more about Brian...

Ed Carp erc at pobox.com
Tue Feb 8 15:22:44 AEST 2022

And that reminds me of the old "Three Envelopes" joke:

A new CEO takes his seat at the helm of a large corporation
He finds three envelopes on his desk, numbered 1 to 3, and a note.

"Dear successor,
On this desk you find 3 envelopes that will help you in times of a
crisis. Open them only in the order they are numbered, and only when
you face a crisis that you cannot manage.
Best of luck".

He stores them in his safe and goes to work. But the economy isn't
picking up, the corporation isn't doing too well and the board wants
an explanation. He decides it's time for the first envelope. He rips
it open and reads:

"Blame your predecessor".

And he does. He steps up at the press conference and blames everything
on the shortcomings and nearsightedness of his predecessor and how he
just needs a bit more time to turn things around. Everyone is pleased
and he remains CEO.

But after a while, the displeasure isn't waning and the corporation
isn't doing any better. Another press conference is held and he rips
open the next envelope:

"Call for reorganizations".

And he does. He presents a great reorganization project with no stone
remaining unturned, this will surely improve productivity and move the
corporation into the future. Everyone's so busy reorganizing that
nobody can even notice how the corporation is running worse and worse,
until there's really no way to cover it up anymore. He reaches for the
third and last envelope, hoping for the great reveal that will save
him once and for all. He rips it open and reads:

"Prepare 3 envelopes and a note".