[TUHS] roff(7)

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Sat Jan 1 11:11:20 AEST 2022

> In 79-82 Runoff got me my undergraduate texts formatted on a dec10.
>
> Moving to work post degree on Unix and vms systems (my memory is that for
> some reason VMS didn't have runoff) I had the Normalised "oh this must be
> the same" hitting roff/nroff and got really confused by having both ms and
> me macros.

I similarly moved from the DEC 36-bit RUNOFF world.  I was confused
why anyone would need macros, until I typed in a paper, and didn't get
any page numbers!!  I'm 99.44% sure the VMS world got something called
DSR (Digital Standard Runoff) at some point (likely written in BLISS).
DEC-10/20 RUNOFF files did not always format correctly under DSR (DEC
"standards" tended to be, the VMS team implements what they want, and
they adjust the standard).

I wondered about the RUNOFF/roff connection until I learned about CTSS,
and was perplexed by IBM SCRIPT, which clearly had shared heritage,
but didn't start with the letter r, but Wikipedia just told me:

	The origin of IBM's SCRIPT (markup) software began in 1968
	when "IBM contracted Stuart Madnick of MIT to write a simple
	document preparation ..."[8] to run on CP/67.[9] He modeled it
	on MIT's CTSS RUNOFF.[10][11]

So it must be true!  Look at all the footnotes!

But I was MOST perplexed when I was helping bring PDP-7 UNIX back up
(I cobbled a replacement shell together), and found PDP-7 roff was
as (or more) feeble than nroff without using a macro package
(for fun, I tried writing some man pages, tho I was pretty sure
on-line documentation didn't come about until PDP-11 days)), only
without a macro facility!